Capri, Hollywood Fest to Honor ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ for Best Ensemble solid
Quentin Tarantino’s latest film will pick up another award on the road to the Oscars.
The Capri, Hollywood International Film Festival is set to honor Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with its best ensemble cast award.
The annual festival will honor the performances of lead castmembers Leonardo Di Caprio, Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie, as well as supporting players including Emile Hirsch, Margaret Qualley, Timothy Olyphant, Austin Butler, Dakota Fanning, Bruce Dern, Lena Dunham, Mikey Madison, Lorenza Izzo and Al Pacino.
“Combined, these amazing performers populate the captivating scenario of 1969 Los Angeles, arousing the enthusiasm of audiences from all around the world,» the festival’s honorary president Tony Renis said Monday in a statement.
Once Upon a Time, Tarantino’s ninth feature film, is expected to be a key awards contender. DiCaprio stars as aging TV star Rick Dalton, who, with his longtime stunt double, Cliff Booth (Pitt), struggles to adapt to the rapidly changing Hollywood industry. The pic has grossed $372 million worldwide and was a top box office attraction in Italy.
Capri, Hollywood continues to be a key destination on the road to the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards, given its timeframe over the New Year’s holiday and glamorous location off the coast of Naples.
As previously announced, this year’s fest will also honor Steven Zaillian for best adapted screenplay for Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman and Marco Bellocchio for best international film for The Traitor.
Capri, Hollywood is set to run Dec. 26-Jan. 2. This year’s edition is dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Italian filmmaker Gillo Pontecorvo’s birth.
David Glasser’s one zero one Studios Nabs Rights to Paradise fireplace soccer Story
‘The Rookie’ producer Mark Ciardi is on board the project, which is based on the book ‘Paradise Found.’
David Glasser’s 101 Studios is developing a screen adaptation of the true story of the football team from Paradise, California, the small town destroyed by 2018’s Camp Fire.
Based on the Bill Plaschke book Paradise Found, the story centers on a high school football team under the dedication of its longtime coach, Rick Prinz, who helped their mountain town rise from the ashes, inspiring a community and a nation with its grit and perseverance.
Mark Ciardi, whose credits include The Rookie, Miracle and Million Dollar Arm, will produce via his Select Films banner. Glasser, David Hutkin and Bob Yari will executive porduce.
Prinz said in a statement: «11/8/18 at 8:34 AM I sent this text message to the football team — ‘the plan is to practice at 3:00 today. If it is too smoky, we will modify our activity. I will keep you informed if anything changes.’ 11 minutes later, we were running for our lives. These young men had faced the reality of death. They had lost everything, their possessions, their homes, their town. They were living with relatives, in hotels, trailers, and cars. Some were homeless. I could see the anguish and despair in their eyes. We didn’t have a school, we didn’t have a practice field, we didn’t have cleats, we didn’t even have a football. But we had each other.»
Added Plaschke, who will consult on the film: «Imagine a small-town-football-team story that begins with no town and no team. The rebirth of the Paradise High Bobcats in the wake of a fire that decimated their small mountain village is a tale of 39 displaced kids and their coaches fighting together to overcome tragedy, forge a family, dominate a season, and bond a broken community.»
«The Camp Fire in Paradise, California, last year completely devastated the homes and lives of the people who lived there, but we are honored to shine a light on the inspirational reporting and storytelling by Bill Plaschke of this remarkable community, and high school football team, rebuilding their lives,» said Glasser, with Ciardi adding, «A year ago, the town of Paradise endured its complete destruction, due to the deadliest wild fire in California history. Its football team has helped it rebuild literally from the ashes, and given hope where little existed. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a story with this much emotion in it.»
101 Studios most recently released Alfonso Gomez-Rejon’s The Current War: Director’s Cut.
‘Awards Chatter’ Podcast — mount Ferencz (‘Prosecuting Evil: The Extraordinary World of mount Ferencz’)
«I was the chief prosecutor in what was certainly the biggest murder trial in human history,» says Ben Ferencz, the last surviving Nuremberg trials prosecutor and the subject of Barry Avrich‘s acclaimed new documentary feature Prosecuting Evil: The Extraordinary World of Ben Ferencz, as we sit down at h Club LA to record an episode of The Hollywood Reporter‘s ‘Awards Chatter’ podcast. Ferencz, a 99-year-old Hungarian-born Jew, served the U.S. Army valiantly during World War II, fighting in numerous storied battles before becoming an investigator of Nazi war crimes at numerous concentration camps as the war wound to a close. And, after the Allied powers’ victory, Ferencz, at the tender age of just 27, was recruited to represent the the U.S. Army at the Einsatzgruppen Trial. As he puts it, «I had no experience. I had never been in a courtroom before. But I knew my stuff.»
Prosecuting Evil, which is currently streaming on Netflix, was greeted with widespread acclaim following its premiere at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival and its theatrical release on Feb. 22, 2019, and it currently stands at 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
* * *
Born to Orthodox Jewish farmers in Transylvania, Ferencz, at just nine months of age, was brought to America by his parents aboard a ship, passing the torch of the Statue of Liberty. («That light, I’m afraid, has gone out, and I very much regret it,» he says in reference to the Trump Administration’s attitudes towards today’s immigrants.) He grew up in poverty and around crime, but studied hard and gained admittance to City College of New York and then Harvard Law School, where he decided to pursue a career in crime prevention and studied with one of the world’s leading experts on what we now call war crimes, Prof. Sheldon Gluck. After graduating and passing the Bar, he entered the U.S. Army in 1943, starting in artillery and then moving to the judge advocate’s section of Gen. George S. Patton’s army. One of Ferencz’s most gut-wrenching assignments during his time in the service was to witness the liberation of numerous concentration camps and seize evidence for future war crimes trials against Nazis. «Anybody who says it didn’t happen,» he says in regard to Holocaust deniers, «they won’t say that didn’t happen to me.»
After Ferencz’s honorable discharge on Christmas of 1945, he returned stateside — only to be summoned to Washington and recruited to assist in Nuremberg, where, in addition to international military tribunal trials, there were 12 additional trials against people from other segments of Nazi Germany’s society. There originally were to be only 11 additional trials, but Ferencz fought for — and was empowered to serve as chief prosecutor at — a twelfth, the Einsatzgruppen trial, which weighed the behavior of 24 defendants who were alleged to have served as commanders in SS mobile death squads. Ferencz, at just 27 and standing at just 5’2″, delivered his opening statement while standing on a pile of books. «I didn’t recommend a death sentence for anybody,» he reminds. «I asked the court to affirm, as a matter of criminal law, the right of every human being to live in peace and human dignity, regardless of his race or creed. I said if I could get that, that would be a step forward — and that if these men be acquitted, then law has lost its meaning and man must live in fear. That stuck with the judges, and they gave me that judgment» — indeed, 22 defendants were found guilty on three out of three counts, and the other two were found guilty on one out of three counts — «and, of course, it’s been cited a thousand times since then.'»
Ferencz spent the rest of his career as a highly respected and successful lawyer. He was instrumental in the creation of the International Criminal Court in the Hague in 2002. And he continues to write and speak about war crimes to this day, just months shy of his 100th birthday. What is his secret? «There is no secret,» he insists with a chuckle. «I’ve lived a wholesome life. This morning I did my usual 75 pushups, among other things. I used to do 100, but they told me to slow down. I don’t drink. I don’t smoke.» He continues, «But what really drives me, if I want to confess my weaknesses, is the trauma. I had a discussion with God, at one point. I’d been to several of the camps, and it was really quite horrible. And I said, ‘God, how did you let this happen? How did it happen? Where are you still? And it’s still happening. I’m still waiting for an answer.’ But I didn’t wait for an answer. I said, ‘Benny, try to change it.’ And so I’ve spent my life trying to change it.»
While Ferencz feels that much progress has been made in the 75 years since World War II, he is far from satisfied. «Hitler’s happening again and again all around the world,» he laments. «I can look in the White House and pick a few out for you. John Bolton [until recently Pres. Trump’s National Security Advisor] is not a far cry from Hitler.» Ferencz feels particularly strongly about the Trump Administration’s separation of parents and child at the southern border. «That’s a crime against humanity,» he says, noting, with regard to Pres. Trump, «I would welcome them putting him on trial.» Would he himself like to again serve as a prosecutor at such a trial? «The ball is now passing to younger hands,» he demurs. «I have three pieces of advice: one, never give up; two, never give up; and three, never give up. The ball is yours. Never give up, kids.»
John DeLorean’s Widow Loses Fight for ‘Back to the Future’ Royalties
If John DeLorean’s wife could take one of his cars back in time, she’d likely change the terms of a settlement with DeLorean Motor Company. As it stands, that deal is preventing the carmaker’s estate from cashing in on Back to the Future-related royalties.
DeLorean founded the original DeLorean Motor Company in the 1970s, through which he designed, manufactured and sold the iconic DMC 12. The company shuttered in 1979 and subsequently declared bankruptcy. A decade later, DeLorean struck a deal with Universal for the studio to use the name and appearance of the vehicle in connection with the Back to the Future franchise in exchange for 5 percent of the net receipts from «merchandising and commercial tie-ups.»
In 1997, a company called DMC Texas purchased assets from the bankruptcy, including inventory and trade names and registered trademarks for the logos on the rear bumper and grill. DeLorean died in 2005.
Sally DeLorean, on behalf of her late husband’s estate, in 2014 sued DMC Texas alleging it “improperly and illegally appropriated for its own use Mr. DeLorean’s legacy» by, among other things, producing replica DMC 12s. thehollywoodunlocked.com/putlockers-hd-ii-watch-frozen-2-2019-online-full-for-free
In 2015, they reached a settlement that included a release of all claims. During that dispute, the estate became aware of the Universal deal and later reached out to find out how much it was owed in royalties — only to discover the studio had paid them to DMC Texas.
DeLorean’s widow in April 2018 again sued DMC Texas, alleging that the settlement didn’t grant the company any rights under the Universal deal.
Chief District Judge Jose L. Linares in October 2018 dismissed the complaint, finding that the settlement agreement barred the claims. The estate appealed.
On Thursday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit ruled against the widow, affirming Linares’ ruling. It agreed that the subject matter of the Universal Agreement fell within that of the settlement and that DMC Texas’ business with Universal is within its rights to use, register and enforce the trademarks.
«In addition to selling automobiles and other products, DMC Texas’s business involves licensing its trademarks and rights to the DeLorean automobile brand to other companies, such as Mattel, Inc., Target, and Microsoft,» writes Circuit Judge Joseph A. Greenaway Jr. «Here, the demand that Universal pay DMC Texas for the use of marks for which it has ‘worldwide rights’ falls within its business of licensing and enforcing the licenses to its marks and other intellectual property.»
Greenaway also notes the settlement includes specific circumstances under which the estate can sue DMC Texas, like for an unauthorized depiction of John DeLorean’s likeness, but there’s no mention of the ability to sue for enforcing its rights to the trademarks.
Because the 3rd Circuit found the settlement bars the litigation, it did not reach the issue of whether the estate assigned its rights under the Universal deal to DMC Texas.